Thursday, August 16, 2007

When is the Mind Open?

So I'll admit, I have been out of it for a while and I have no idea where music is heading or where it has been for the past 6 years, frankly. I wonder about the days when grunge took hold of the world and really changed everything. There doesn't really seem to be such a trend these days. Perhaps that is good, because at the time, I openly rebelled against grunge, yet secretly enjoyed the bands and philosophies. I was in a band during the early to mid-nineties. Actually two bands. Most people don't realize what it takes to dedicate yourself to originaly music, I certainly didn't. There was a time when our band, Phonetic Plumbing was discussing moving to SanFran to try our luck in that scene. We were divided, which revealed the measure of our resolve as a group. My reasons, in retrospect, were foolish. I was young enough to take a chance with my bills, with my girlfriend, with my family - but I was too much of a pussy to do it. Who knows what may have happened, I could have ended up dead for all I know. I don't regret it now, but the unknown of those days peaks back into my life when I let it.

For now, I will try and dedicate my spare time to promoting and exposing this wonderful genre of creativity that lurks in the shadows in your city - I say "your" because I would be surprised to find it here in Rochester, NY. Once we are up and running solid I will put some feelers out, but this is the same town which gave birth to Lou Gramm.

In the meantime, if anyone reads this post, please feel free to e-mail submissions.

Back to the main thought: is open mindedness really in the hearts and intentions of musicians, or is it yet another clique that subsumes our artists. Sure, there are some who enjoy all forms of expression without judgement. I find those individuals rare and elusive. I would love to walk into a random local band rehearsal and discuss classical, jazz or even country without the snickers and off-comments. I know that this may be a long-shot, but there is hope, right?
-SF

No comments: