Friday, July 28, 2006

Caught in the Lower Middle Class

Hey Fatheads! So today as I take 5 and blog, I am reminded of the new trap which has been clamping down on my right leg ever so slowly over the past few years. I am making the most money I have ever made in my life, yet I am sinking. Not into debt, because my wife, bless her, managed our money with precision, so our debt ratio is dropping. I am writing about the general state of the economy from my point of view: with 2 kids and one on the way. I have not gotten anything but a 3% raise every year for the past few years. "Oh, quit yer belly-aching," you may say to me. No! How much have gas prices risen? How high is real estate here in SoFla? Am I still renting? Yes! Are we doing well? Maybe!

Ok, so I have good health coverage, thanks to my employers large employee base-buying power. but what if I want to go out on my own? Something normal in my industry: video, but here is the rub: no affordable coverage for my family. So I am trapped. Are you? How many millions out there feel this way? Many are far worse off than I. They don't even have a nice 3 bedroom in Sunrise to boast about.

So the economy is booming? For the guys at the top, sure. Exxon making $10billion in a quarter, great. $ 1300 per minute they say. Great great!

Where is my share of the hard work? Oh, I wasn't born lucky enough to have it handed to me, I see.

-SF

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya!