Friday, July 28, 2006

I've Discovered Jean Shepherd!!!!!

Excelsior, You Fathead! The phrase mentioned all around the Blogosphere and then some. For me, Shep has always been a name I recognize due to the popular film, A Christmas Story (1983), we're all familiar with Ralphie and Randy Parker and their trials and tribulations with Scut and Grover. But who is the man behind the classic? A genius who is somewhere making even the most stoic of humorless twits reexamine the ethereal plain on which they now exist. I think I should expound slightly on how this revelation came about (I'll omit the part where I again wish I was living about 40-50 years ago and not in this oppressive day).

I was watching the Blues Brothers, lying in bed and hoping that my wife didn't start to snore before I fell asleep. A common problem in my relationship, first to sleep, only to sleep. Moving on, there is a scene where Jake and Elwood go to get Matt "Guitar" Murphy and Blue Lou. When good ole Matt realizes that the Blues Brothers are back, he greets them with comments about bad food at various state facilities they may have frequented, including one Terre Haute federal Penn. That prompted me to remember a line from ACS which mentions Terre Haute. I hopped on Google and brought it up...not really caring much about Terre Haute when I remembered that I loved ACS and the story and wanted to find the story behind the movie. Fast forward an hour and I am lying in bed listening to the tale of Kris Metropolis.

I have a lot to learn. There is so much I'd like to read about and experience to catch up on. I am, or aspire to be, a writer and filmmaker, though I am the dreamer and not the do-er. If I were a do-er, I'd create the greatest tribute piece for this man. I have a background in radio, so it means even more to me. The world should listen, really listen to Jean Shepherd today. Congress should enact a statute which requires all Americans, and those who wish to become Americans to listen to Jean Shepherd for one hour per day. But we know what Congress is like, and we know that most Americans will not miss their American Idol. Only if...well, thanks Shep, I have discovered a new world. One day the Scottymouth with speak at length about my new hero, maybe some Fatheads might stream for a minute or two...maybe.

-SF

No comments: